Small copper pin engraved with the image of the Great Synagogue of Cape Town, South Africa and the Hebrew initials of Tikvat Yisrael. 2 x 1.5 cm.
Apparently, this pin was fashioned for the dedication ceremony of the Great Synagogue of Cape Town in 1905, as a souvenir for the participants.
The Great Synagogue of Cape Town is one of a large complex of Jewish buildings in the Gardens area, in the heart of the Botanical Gardens of Cape Town, hence its nickname “The Gardens Shul.” It was built in 1905, with the expansion of the Tikvat Yisrael shul (the Cape Town Hebrew Congregation), the first Jewish congregation in South Africa, established in 1841. When the old building, built in 1863, became inadequate for its congregants, they moved to the larger adjacent synagogue building. The shul is still functioning and it neighbors the South African Jewish Museum, whose opening was attended by Nelson Mandela in the year 2000.